Pages

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Vulkan Gi Review

When I first started Jiu-Jitsu I started with a Judo Gi. As time went on and I lost weight the gi became too big for me. It created problems when rolling and gave my opponent an advantage so eventually I invested in different gi - the Vulkan Ultra Light Gi.

My first impression of the Vulkan Gi, Size A2 (I am 5'-10" and weigh 175lbs - 180lbs) was that it was a good fit but with the bottoms being a little shorter than I expected. The kimono pants were the perfect height at the ankles but my concern was that they were going to shrink and then become high water pants. To my surprise they didn't shrink (only washed in cold water and hang dried) so they worked out perfect. The kimono top fit well and didn't seem to shrink either. The only complaint (more of a trade off than a complaint) is that the draw string doesn't like to stay tied unless I used a double knot. The draw string is flat and made of thick/strong material which I believe adds to the difficulty of it staying tied until it gets broken in good. I am more than happy to tie a double knot in exchange for extra comfort and durability.

After washing in cold water and air drying for 5 months about 4 times a week. The gi did not shrink but the knees blew out at the 5 month mark. I only used regular detergent and vinegar (vinegar kills the bacteria and helps keep the color set in) instead of color safe bleach (bleach weakens the material and causes the garment to fail prematurely). Keep in mind that the gi pants were the Ultra Light version - not the Pro Light. The Vulkan Ultra Light Pants do not have the reinforced knees like the Vulkan Pro Light Pants do. I thought I should have gotten more life out of the pants so I called vulkanstore.com and spoke with Raphael. Raphael stated that the Ultra Light Pants should last at least a year when used about twice a week - I used mine at least 4 times a week non-stop for 5 months. He recommended that for training more than twice a week to use the Pro Light Pants as they have the reinforced knees.

My gi top has performed well and the only sign of wear is on the edge of the collar at the neck area. The material and threading continue to hold up well. Very pleased with it thus far.

I now have two pair of the Pro-Light Pants to use for regular training and will post the results of using them after they have been used for a while. I recommend the Ultralight Pants for anyone looking for a summer pants or for a pair to be used for competition. If you are looking for regular training pants then go with the Pro Light version.

I am also satisfied with Vulkan's customer service. I had a concern about the performance of their product, they gave me the benefit of the doubt and worked with me on replacing my pants. For this reason alone I will probably be a long time Vulkan customer. When it comes to spending your hard earned money, good customer service goes a long way.

5 months 4 times a week (Ultra Light)
Replacement pants (Pro Light)


Pro Light knee reinforcement layer is on the inside of the pant leg

The outside of the knee reinforcement is smooth


Gi top wear after 6 months 4 times a week.


1 comment:

  1. Good review. I've always wondered about Vulcan Gis. Never owned one, but have contemplated getting one a time or two. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete