Pages

Sunday, June 3, 2012

iGrapple - Butterfly Guard


Yesterday's class was a good eye opener to some serious work needed when it comes to no gi.

I've been down this road before but haven't addressed the issue because most of my Jiu-Jitsu training is with the gi. In gi Jiu-Jitsu it is so easy to control your opponent just by simply grabbing the gi and working your way into your next move, whereas in no gi there is nothing to grab onto.

The few gi butterfly sweeps that I know didn't work well yesterday because of a combination of my training partners being more experienced (they know how to defend) and poor execution on my part. In addition to trying the sweeps I also tried some submissions from the butterfly guard but they didn't work either.

This morning I looked at iGrapple to see what additional options it shows from butterfly guard. It turns out iGrapple has a lot of different options and has the moves broken down from the position of your arms on your opponent (Double Underhook, Under & Overhook, Double Overhook, Arms Across Body). Rather than trying to look at all of these I decided to think about what position my arms are usually in (naturally) and came to the conclusion that I usually go for the "Under & Overhook" of my opponent's arms. From here there are three moves that I've decide to concentrate on, (elbow lock, omoplata - when executing the elbow lock you are already in position to go into the omoplata, & taking his back). With a little practice on the grappling dummy these techniques should be simple to apply the next time I roll no gi - I'll let you know how it goes.



No comments:

Post a Comment