Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

Roy Dean Academy Triangle Entry




A training partner of mine shared a video on facebook from the Roy Dean Academy on one of the students testing for Brown Belt that I thought is worth sharing. The first half of the video shows a lot of good technique then they go into rolling. The part that caught my attention the most was at 1:00 minute into the video the student goes from a side control escape to a reverse spin into the triangle choke.

This is the first time I've seen this move. Although flashy, it looks like it could be a high percentage move, when timed right, since your opponent is expecting you to come in towards him with the knee across the belly to regain guard. However, this triangle entry will take some practice and appears will only work if he doesn't have any of his weight on you and is giving you some space (or you've created the space needed). Creating that much space will be difficult when rolling with an upper level Jiu Jitsu player. It looks like your best bet is to try this later on in the match when he is tired and not as focused.

I am looking forward to trying this triangle entry. The triangle choke was always my favorite BJJ move but I haven't given it as much attention as I should have during my training. Since the BJJ workshop by Chris Griffin on triangle entries I've been going for them more. And now, seeing this triangle entry makes me want to explore other entry options.


No comments:

Post a Comment