Pages

Friday, December 14, 2012

Armbar Injury



I have had a tournament coming up that I am was training for, the (Bluegrass BJJ Open), until I jacked my arm up in an armbar the other night.

I have a bad habit of thinking offensively rather than defensively when I am on the bottom stuck in side control. This usually results in me turning to my side and my opponent going for an armbar. So with this in mind and with the Bluegrass BJJ Open coming up I decided to work more on armbar defense. Well...that plan backfired.

I've learned a few different techniques for getting out of the armbar. The one I have the most success with (especially on bigger / stronger guys) is by getting the gable grip, hipping up and turning into him as I come back down, use his momentum of pulling on my arm and roll up on top of him and stack him, grab his collar and drive my forearm into his throat until he lets go of my arm.

The other night I tried the above mentioned technique when rolling with another blue belt (never rolled with this guy before). The blue belt was a lot smaller than I - but he was strong and very quick. Since he was small I figured I should be able to pull off this armbar defense with no problem. I let him get the armbar setup thinking this is a good opportunity to work on my defense. Bad idea!! His speed and execution were good and I missed the defense. He had me laid out in the armbar but I didn't tap right away thinking I could get out of it. Since I didn't tap immediately he cranked on it and it felt like bubble wrap being popped inside my elbow. The popping occurred in the funny bone area and down into my forearm. It was painful for about 15 - 20 seconds and then it went numb. I should have stopped rolling but since I couldn't feel it I just kept going - yes I know, spare me the speech - I just wanted to roll!!

Now I am out of training until it gets better and more than likely out of the tournament. So, to all you guys (like me) who have been told by your coach to tap early and often to prevent injury but you didn't listen because of your pride and underestimation of your opponent - learn from my mistake. Don't let yourself get in a bad position just to work the escape when rolling with a partner that you don't know and don't ever under estimate your opponent's abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment