Pages

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Jiu Jitsu Tournament Performance

During the Bluegrass Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Open last weekend I noticed a few people get really upset when they lost their match. I can see being disappointed in your performance but getting down right upset - really? - grow up folks!! When you go into these tournaments you have to go in with the right attitude. Go to the tournament and treat it as a learning experience. If you win every match that's great but how much did you really learn? When you loose a match you end up thinking about what you need to work on so you don't make the same mistake the next time. This is an excellent tool for improving your Jiu-Jitsu.

When you tap out to your training partner you don't take it as seriously as when you tap out in a tournament. I lost one of my matches by being arm barred within a triangle hold - yes, I was disappointed that I lost but that loss made me more determined to practice triangle defense.

Check out this video, this guy competed often throughout his entire Jiu Jitsu career but didn't win a medal until his second competition match as black belt!


No comments:

Post a Comment