Pages

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Side Control - Alternative to Scarf Hold

Today's Jiu-Jitsu class focused on the feeling of control between scarf hold (kesa gatame) vs. a another controlling position (I don't know what this is called) - like scarf hold but your chest is putting pressure on his chest/abdomen area and the position of your legs is switched (kind of like half in side control and half in scarf hold). This gives you way more control of your opponent. In scarf hold your opponent can turn into you or have a decent chance at another type of escape. This other move makes it much more difficult. I weigh approx. 170lbs and practiced is on a 230lb guy - he could NOT escape!

This control move is great and I plan on using it a lot!! I've seen it used before but never really drilled it or played around with it. If anyone knows what this is called, please let me know. My JuJitsu instructor doesn't know if there is a name for it.

This video shows what I'm trying to explain, the part where his legs are spread and his weight is over his opponent's chest/abdomen area (not the part where he goes into regular side control).


No comments:

Post a Comment