Pages

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

iGrapple - Guard Pass From Standing

In 3 days I will be attending my second Jiu-Jitsu tournament (Bluegrass Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Open). In preparation I thought I'd study some of the video from my last tournament. Each match seemed to show a weakness that stayed consistent throughout the match. One such weakness was being unable to break my opponent's guard while standing. Since I wasn't able to break his guard I tried to stack him while trying to perform a collar choke. That was probably a BIG no-no since he could have armbarred me. Time ran out and I didn't get submitted but I still lost the match on points. Time to see what iGrapple has on this.

iGrapple shows 37 different techniques from standing within your opponents guard. One of the techniques does show how to get out of the exact problem I was having during my match (unable to break his guard while standing). The technique is much simpler that anything I could think of on my own ("knee wedge, push waist") and I will definitely being using it from now on!


Out of the 37 techniques I will probably study about 50% of them. Why? Because some finish with ankle locks, heal hooks, & leg bars (I'm a 3 stripe white belt, I have no business messing with any locks other than the straight ankle lock or straight knee bar). There are also a couple of other moves that I just don't see my self using right now. However, when I become more experienced the other 50% will probably come into play.

No comments:

Post a Comment